A No impediment to marry certificate is a certificate issued by the Office of the Registrar of Marriages in Kenya, confirming that a Kenyan citizen has no existing marriage record and therefore qualifies to get married outside of the country.
For a Kenyan to get married in a foreign country a current Certificate of No Impediment to marriage is required. This can be applied for through ,
- Kenyan Embassy in the country of residence / or Marriage.
- Registrar of marriages in Nairobi, Via the Ecitizen Portal.
Requirements of a certificate of no impediment to marriage in Kenya.
The following are the requirements for application and processing of a certificate of no impediment to marriage in Kenya,
- Certified copy of applicants Passport
- Certified copy of applicants Birth Certificate
- Passport-size photos of applicants
- Fiancée’s certified Passport copy
- Copy of Death Certificate if widow or widower.
- Copy of Absolute Divorce Decree - If Kenyan the partner had been married and divorced.
- Affidavit if the Death Certificate or Divorce Decree is more than two years
- A letter by the applicant clearly indicating, the telephone number, email address, residential address and postal address
Procedure for application for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage in Kenya
To obtain a Certificate of No impediment to marry, an application must to filed with the Registrar of marriages in Kenya at the attorney Generals chambers.
How long does a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage take?
The application and processing of a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage can take between 3 to 6 weeks.
The application for this certificate has to undergo a mandatory 10 days display at the nearest Registrar’s office dependent on the applicant’s last place of residence.
Who issues the Certificate of No impediment to Marriage in Kenya?
- The Certificate of No impediment to marriage is issued by the Registrar of Marriages at AGs chambers in Nairobi
- The Certification can also be done by Kenyan Foreign Missions and Embassies outside Kenya
Can I get a certificate of no impediment Online?
Yes, you can make an application via your ecitizen account.